A 30-degree-oak-plank media console

A 30-degree-oak-plank media console

It’s been a while

since my last encounter with woodworking. During Art College times I got addicted to bringing those plywood chair designs to life. Fun times.

We’ve looked for a good TV console for some time. While we saw some beautiful work from local design shops like Furgner, we couldn’t really find the one.

So… while cleaning the basement on one of those stay-at-home pandemic weekends, I looked at the pile of oak floor plank leftovers and thought what-if…. 

Some days earlier we sketched up a few ideas on what a media console would look like.
Our main requirements were:
  • It had to play nice with the 2,5 meters of wall we had, one end of which is the corner of the living room, the other one – a window. There’s no ideal spot for a media console or a TV in that 1939-designed floor plan.
  • A simple design. Nordic, for lack of a better word.
  • A section with just over 30cm of height, to showcase those vinyls we don’t yet have a record player for. Yup, that’s pragmatic thinking right there. I got 5 or so already, including a couple of jazzy ones from Les Puces in Paris.
Some sketches (and negotiations) later, I had a design that both me & Sigrid liked. An open design with both levels constructed from the oak floor planks at 45 degrees (which became 30 degrees during the process), with 2 beams underneath. 3 posts at the front and 4 at the back, 2 center ones slanted to keep it rigid.

4 weekends later 

I had it finished. Yeah let me know if you can do in 2 weekends what actually looks like a 2-weekend project. I was somewhat rusty, but hey, still finished it 🙂 What hit me at the final stages was – you don’t want to “just get it ready” and take shortcuts. It can take 1-2 days more, so what.

The thing

is 211cm long, 40cm deep, 40cm high (the body, without feet). 15cm squared feet we received well in advance from Amazon.

An aspect I like about this – all the wood used is from those leftover floor planks. So somewhat of an environmental twist there, never mind travelling with the stock and the finished piece between our home and the country house where we have the workshop.

The finish – it had to be black. Initially we were thinking of Fusion Mineral Paint.

In the end, it came down to 3 layers of black spirit stain, and Osmo matt oil wax on top. It’s not 100% uniform, definitely. But in a good way. The better you do at sanding, the more uniform the stain. But the Osmo works great as a final layer.

What’s missing now are the audio bits – some B&W speakers, the vinyl player…

Gotland wedding photographers
Prev Rifdi & Aliyah - Gotland elopement vol. 2

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.